At Little Bird Brands we are committed to doing what we can to minimise our impact on the environment. We recognised that becoming a sustainable business is a journey – there is always more we can do to reduce our impact and make a positive difference.
Key sustainability activities include:
- We have swapped out single use plastic mailers for paper and cardboard packs that are easy to recycle and reuse.
- We recycle all the waste that can be recycled generated through our Auckland warehouse.
- We recycle all organic waste from our staff of over 20. Coffee grounds & food scraps are composted or food scraps are fed to our chickens.
- Sustainable Business Network and former board member.
- We are members of the Sustainable Business Network
- We have been working to remove plastic packaging from our products. Where possible we ask supplies to avoid supplying products in individual polybags.
- We redesigned Woolbabe packaging in 2015, moving away from vinyl and plastic bags to biodegradable and reusable cotton bags.
- All our products are designed with longevity and quality in mind. We use a better grade of materials and fastenings so they can withstand the rigours of typical everyday use. We often get feedback that parents have handed their Woolbabe For example, we choose YKK zips at much higher cost to ensure that our zips never fail whereas many sleeping bag brands zips don’t even last a season.
- We use certified organic cotton and Merino to make Woolbabe sleeping bags and clothing
- Cardboard cartons are reused for packaging outgoing orders where possible. Cartons not suitable for orders are recycled via Reclaim
- All paper waste is recycled, including the backs of labelopes and the backs of courier tickets
- Packaging fill from suppliers is reused where possible. The only exception is polystyrene chip fill which is unsafe to send to houses with infants and toddlers.
- Toner cartridges go to Warehouse Stationary or BP collection points for recycling
- We reuse non-biodegradable packaging fill that is sent to us by suppliers
- We recycle plastic through both Reclaim (clear plastic) and Astron Plastics (other soft plastic including coloured plastic)